It's as real as it gets

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by George J. Lustig from 1Cust100.tnt8.sfo3.da.uu.net on August 19, 1998 at 02:13:33:

In Reply to: Saving Private Ryan and Mask of Zorro posted by Jawad on January 29, 1998 at 20:36:19:

I am a World War II Veteran, and I was there on Omaha beach, I am telling you that Saving Private Ryan was VERY acurate. I went to see it with my Grandson who is 14 years old and I was crying at the end because of all the terrible memories, he looked at me and said "Was it really like that Grandpa?" And it was it really was.
Of course no movie could ever match up to the extreme terror that I felt when I was actually there and I can still today remember every last detial of it.
While I was watching the movie I could almost feel the cold water hitting me and I could almost feel the same terror that I did 44 years ago. I remembered seeing my close friend take a bullet in the chest and immediatly stop moving, I remembered the noise being so loud I could barely hear someone yelling at me two inches from my face. I remembered looking over the beach afterwards and wondering what the hell happened and at the same time thanking my lucky stars that I wasn't face down in the sand. I remembered the incredible joy I felt when I saw a friendly face that had life. Thats a lot of feelings for a half an hour of one movie.
I encourage everyone to go see Saving Private Ryan even if you are a Veteran and did experience the real thing because it is a fantastic movie and I definatly think it deserves everything coming to it. Mr. Spielberg is a fine director and Tom Hanks is a fine actor and I think they both deserve Oscars for Saving Private Ryan.
As far as people saying that it is too bloody, well if anything it is not bloody enough. Let me tell you from personal experience war is very very very bloody and war IS hell.

I would espcially like to hear thoughts from World War II Veterans but I would also like to hear responses from everyone.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]