Re: Archeology 101: Help!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc from spider-mtc-tc051.proxy.aol.com on October 17, 2000 at 07:11:52:

In Reply to: Archeology 101: Help! posted by New Jersey Hughes on October 16, 2000 at 11:53:37:

: Indyfans!

: I'm getting ready to work on a project that will require me to have a decent, all-around knowledge of archeology.

: Can anyone suggest any resources (such as books, videos, websites, what have you) that could act as a primer of sorts for an novice who doesn't want to do the science of archeology any injustice by simply relying on what he sees in the movies?

For a great book on the history of archaeology and a who's who of famous (and not-so-famous) archaeologists, I'd try picking up the Cambridge Illustrated History of Archaeology, edited by Paul G. Bahn. While the book offers little information regarding actual techniques of digging or cataloguing artifacts, it contains more information about the history and origins of the science than one person could ever absorb. I've never seen it in softcover, and the hardcover edition will run you about 40 bucks, but you should be able to pick it up at any decent sized converted church. . . uh, I mean, library. Good luck!

-Doc

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]