Caveat Emptor

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aaron from 206.147.21.71 on October 17, 2000 at 22:41:13:

Just thought I'd share my Wells Lamont story with y'all [not that we have any alternatives--Midwest is the same company]. I doubt it'll sway anyone's purchasing decisions, but, aside from Wells Lamont themselves, this seemed the best place to sound off and give a "buyer beware."

I just got my 1123s today--they took about a week to ship. However, the story goes back even further...

About a month ago, upon hearing that the 1123s were once again available, I decided to email the company [using their customer service form at www.wellslamont.com], and ask them how I could obtain a pair of them through the mail, preferably with a money order instead of a credit card. After clicking "send," I was sent to a page that informed me I would be contacted within two business days.

A week later, with no reply yet, I sent another one. To this day I have received no reply to either of my inquiries.

So, I give in and call them [a week after sending my second email]. I'm not ready to order that night but I want to get all of the info so I can be ready to order in a few days. The lady I spoke with was great. My experiences with her have been the best I've had out of this whole ordeal, and while that doesn't mean a lot in the context of my crappy experiences with the company, let me just say that this woman really was nice.

We took care of all of the information [including sizing], and I was ready for the following day when I would order.

When that day came, the phonecall this time was nowhere near as polite or pleasurable. The new woman that I was transfered to used absolutely zero formalities and courtesies. At this point, however, I just chalked that up to her straightforward businesslike approach to things. No big deal.

However, after we confirmed that the 1123s were still in stock, it took me several minutes to get the message to her that yes, I had checked local retailers for the gloves, and yes, I was really really sure that I wanted them. Obviously, she was no longer "quick" or "businesslike." It really seemed like she wanted to avoid setting up my shipment.

However, I eventually completed the transaction and hung up [with no response to my "thank you"s, of course]. A week passed, and here we are, today, the 17th.

The story isn't over! The gloves are indeed a medium, the size that the first representative confirmed was mine, but she had quoted the wrong sizes for small, medium, and large. Actually, what she had done was read the size, in inches, of the medium and large gloves, but she read them as the sizes of the small and medium gloves, respectively. Therefore, while my measurements had come out to be, in actually, those of a large glove, the first salesperson had confirmed that I was a medium! Still, it seems to have been an honest mistake, and this first representative showed great all-around customer service, so I still commend her.

Regardless, I'm sending the gloves back tomorrow for an exchange with a large pair. I'm enclosing a note that outlines my experiences with them, and if they expect me to pay more to have the new gloves shipped back to me, I'm going to be a little miffed.

There, the rant is over. Like I said, I know this will probably make little difference to anyone, but, as a consumer, I thought I should add to the collective Indiana Jones gear collecting voice and sound off.

Thanks for the read,
Aaron

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: