More ramblings from the leather-dependant - Actually, fairly important Flight Suits information!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on October 18, 2000 at 13:05:34:

A few weeks ago, I sent my Flight Suits Expedition jacket back for a few tweaks – nothing major, really. Pretty much just shortening the side straps. When I called to confirm that they had received it, Dave Marshall began telling me about a new leather they were strongly considering for the jacket – veg tanned goatskin. He sounded pretty excited about it, but I thought – man, I just bought a jacket! Soon afterwards, Lee Keppler called on the same topic. He was fairly doing back-flips about this stuff. Oh well… I called Dave and said I’d be happy to take a look at a swatch.

I received the sample, and I immediately understood why they were excited about it. Folks, the color, grain, and sheen are dead on. Very dark seal brown and very tight grained for goatskin. In fact, if you were not VERY close and/or did not know your leathers, it would pass for well-worn lambskin. To use a much-abused analogy – it is as tough as nails. Anybody who’s owned goatskin can attest to how tough this particular leather is. Another benefit is that there is really no breaking-in period. With a little wear (I distressed the sample with a bit of 220/120 grit sandpaper) it is perfect – as compared to the original. Better than the FS mahogany horsehide. Better then the Wested new finish lamb. Better than the Predistressed Wested Cowhide. Needless to say, I was in a real leather-induced, Indy fan dilemma.

So, I called Dave with fedora in hand. I’ve gotten used to their excellent customer service, but was still surprised by the response, and very pleased! He explained that they had come to a conclusion after looking at my horsehide jacket. While horsehide may work well on a historically accurate A2, they were not as pleased as they had hoped they would be with a horsehide Expedition. Lee had concurred. They were hoping I would be open to exchanging the horsehide jacket for one made from the veg tanned goatskin. SOLD! I think I might have been manipulated into this conclusion, but at that point I really did not care.

So, here I sit, waiting for that box to show up AGAIN. Well, through all the Wested’s and US Wings I’ve waited for in the past, this really is part of the fun. I have had my issues with Peter, but I have to tell you there really is nothing more enjoyable then calling Wested at 5:00 am (PST) to talk to Peter and actually place an order. But I digress. Flight Suits expects to receive their initial shipment of seal brown veg tanned goatskin within the next week. I expect I’ll see my jacket around the first week of November.

Now, Dave or Lee call and ask me to look at a swatch of veg tanned kangaroo in seal brown, I will be checking in to the local rehab center for some quiet time…

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: