Re: More ramblings from the leather-dependant - Actually, fairly important Flight Suits information!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on October 18, 2000 at 14:41:39:

In Reply to: Re: More ramblings from the leather-dependant - Actually, fairly important Flight Suits information! posted by Professor Jones on October 18, 2000 at 14:13:22:

Sorry - "the look" really had to do with when it is new. Personally, I was up to the challenge as well. It was the color of the goat that grabbed my attention - it is perfect IMHO. As far as the overall leathers, I've leaned towards horse in the past because I do not like the pebble texture of the goat. This particular tannage, however, does not have that "problem".

Again, personally I have deviated from what would be the most accurate look simply because I've never been too impressed with the durability of lamb or the weight of cowhide. Some would rightly dispute that assessment from actual experience, but I have trashed a lambskin jacket without trying. I chose the horsehide with the closest color, and was very happy with the grain. An older horsehide Indy jacket Lee Keppler let me examine really helped me make the final decision. My belief is that over time, the horsehide will look terrific.

My change here had to do with, again, the color and the tight grain of the veg tanned goat. The lack of a break-in period was really just gravy. The overall durability of goat vs. horse is something that has been debated in A2 circles for some time now. Generally, they’re very comparable with goat seeming to get a slight nod.

I hope this helps?

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: