That's cool, thanks for the review.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by the Fiddler from cust-157-21.as03.bois.eli.net on October 23, 2000 at 23:57:44:

In Reply to: Indy on VCD posted by topmen on October 23, 2000 at 20:17:04:

: I was recently the high bidder on the three Indy movie vcd's (with subtitles). I went home at lunch to let my dogs out (it has been raining here)and the postman brought a delivery from Hong Kong -- my movies. I have not had a chance to watch all three, or even very much of Raiders, because I back to work (and I am still here), but here are my initial observations.

: First, I have just a regular run of the mill RCA dvd player. I was just hoping that my dvd player would read a vcd. I had no idea, but my dvd player is also a vcd player! The front of the dvd player usually displays "dvd" in red lights while a dvd is playing. With the vcd, it displayed "vcd" in red lights where dvd is usually displayed. Here I was hoping I could fool my dvd into playing a vcd, but as it turns out, RCA designed it to read and display vcd's.

: The picture quality is not as good as a regular dvd, but as good as the video a purchased this summer and better than the four other older copies I have played to death (but just can't seem to throw away). The display is widescreen and you do not miss a thing.

: The subtitles are below the picture and are not distracting -- yet. As I mentioned, I just got a taste of the beginning of Raiders and as we all know, before Indy says "This is it" there is not much to translate. It would be simple to put a piece of black construction paper under the movie to black out the subtitles. With the lights off, I doubt that it would even be noticeable. At this point anyway, I would not discourage anyone from buying these because they are subtitled.

: Finally, the sound is wonderful. Although not thx or 5.1 surround, it is digital and sounds and much better than the tape I got this summer.

: Overall initial assessment: I love it. But then again, I

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]