Re: completly different subject

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on October 24, 2000 at 10:12:26:

In Reply to: completly different subject posted by DirtyFrank on October 21, 2000 at 11:17:09:

: I haven't played AD&D with the 3rd edition rules...how's it differ from 2nd edition?

Well, I'm not exactly sure of all the differences, since I haven't played a whole lot of AD&D 2nd edition. I do know, though, that the 3rd edition is now just called 'Dungeons & Dragons'... they dropped the word 'Advanced' from it altogether, since apparently the beginning D&D from way back when was discontinued a while back.

At a D&D message board, though, someone (not me) described the difference between the two as the following:

This is how I describe the big difference between 3rd edition and previous editions.

Previous editions of D&D used a different 'system' for everything:

-Roll high on a d20 to attack
-Roll low on a d100 to determine thief abilities
-Roll low on a d10 to determine surprise
-Roll high on a d100 to determine if you get psionics (1st ed)
-Roll low on a d6 to determin chances of finding secret doors
-Roll high on a d10 to determine initiative

Blah, blah, blah. The previous editions were just a mish-mash of different rules and didnt even use an actual 'system'. Now, 3rd edition comes along and WOTC wipes the slate clean, actually creates a System as a foundation and works thier way back up again. Most things follow a formula now or are modular. Rules make sense. When creating a a creature, to determine its strengths and weaknesses you just select from a template. If you design an Undead, you dont have to make up its abilities (um, its immune to cold, uh, takes half damge from weapons and, uh, glows in the dark). You just say, "Its Undead." and the basics have already been covered.

D&D 3rd edition is great. My only problem is that 80% of my gamers dont want to switch to a new game system. So, I face the dilemna: Do I forfeit my (strong) desire to play 3rd edition and continue to play previous editions with people I have been gaming with for 8-10 years, or play with people from work who DO want to play 3rd edition, but I have never gamed with before?? Arrgh!

I hope that helped. I really hope that they come out with a d20 Indiana Jones RPG. If they don't, though, the d6 WEG version still works fine. :)

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]