I confess

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inbanana Jones from ppp80.nwnetwork.net on October 25, 2000 at 01:27:38:

In Reply to: Is anyone that posts here an actual archeologist? posted by Indy Andrew Jones on October 24, 2000 at 23:42:56:

At the moment, I'm doing private consulting re: cultural resource concerns, mostly for local/state/fed. agency clients.
This means sheparding them through a suite of (mostly) federal laws ensuring the identification, evaluation, and protection of cultural resources (e.g. archaeological sites) that may be impacted by projects like dam building, road construction, etc.
It involves some excavation, a lot of writing, and a mixture of tasks such as stone tool analysis, field survey, and the ability to remain awake while reading government design documents ("bureaucratic fools!").
Sooner rather than later I hope to plunge back into chasing golden idols across exotic foreign destinations... but who doesn't?
Actually, most of the archaeologists in the USA are employed thusly in the private or govt. sector.
The education you want to prepare you depends a lot on your particular interests, of course.
A good place to begin is by checking out the website of the Society For American Archaeology (www.saa.org); there is a section with answers to your questions.
Also worth reading is David Hurst Thomas' latest edition (3rd) of "Archaeology: Down to Earth". It's among the best at offering current, relevant, and very readable information on American archaeology today, and how to join in the fun.
Plus, he's got a picture of Indy in the book, too...
If there's one piece of advice to offer, it's this: read as much as you can about what topics interest you, and practice writing, writing, writing to hone your ability to present a clearly-stated, fact-filled reasoned argument.
Posting here is one way to practice, I guess...
Cheers,
Inby
ps, check out the link below.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: