Archaeologist in training here, with Mesoamerican focus (Olmec, Maya, Toltec, Mixtec, Aztec, etc.)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by IndyIdol from 138.192.29.163 on October 25, 2000 at 14:40:02:

In Reply to: Is anyone that posts here an actual archeologist? posted by Indy Andrew Jones on October 24, 2000 at 23:42:56:

Hello,
I am actually at college for a degree in archaeology. Like many professors will tell you, archaeology isn't like Indiana Jones. Nowadays you basically need a PhD to guarantee yourself a job and even then space is limited. Depends on what area you are focusing on and what you want to eventually do as an archaeologist. Most of the archaeologists I have talked to are either professors or work for cultural resource management. Most of the time you are in the lab cataloging artifacts. Now it is computerized (ahhh Heaven) so that queries can be done to help us understand past cultures. It can get tedious at times, but it's all worth it to play in the dirt to find them! :o) I've been on a few excavations (mostly farmsteads in Minnesota) and I plan to travel back to the Yucatan, Mexico area and work on upcoming Maya sites.
Now don't get me wrong, the Indy style is still used by many archaeologists. I think we all are just stuck in the past in career and social aspects. ;o) Anyway, I could drone on and on. I get very excited about my work :o). If you or anyone else has other questions I'd be happy to try to help.
Like Inby stated, check out the SAA website, it has a whole bunch of info on schools, speakers, jobs, etc. I'm currently at Hamline University in Minnesota. I shall end here.

See you tomorrow Indyfans...

Nick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: