Dead-on the mark...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on October 25, 2000 at 19:20:08:

In Reply to: I'm confused posted by Micah on October 25, 2000 at 17:34:25:

: : Yes, I too have just recieved my VCD's, without the subtitles and here are my thoughts:
: : I have only watched Raiders so far,and the picture is not the greatest. It is a little blurry, but still nice. I would compare it to old VCR tapes of the original release. I think the sound is excellent. Not surround sound quality, but very good stereo!! Overall, I would say it is a MUST HAVE for people starving for Indy DVDs and are willing to accept a substitute. If you want know about the the other movies , let me know and I will post about them.

: I'm still not clear on the point of VCDs. The main reasons I want Indy DVDs are for better picture and sound quality and cool extras like cut scenes, trailers, and commentaries. It sounds like VCDs are worse than the recently released remastered tapes as far as picture quality and there isn't anything extra on them.

: My impression of VCDs is that they are prevalent in places like China because they are easily pirated. They really have no benefit over the currently available Indy VHS tapes.

: Am I wrong?

: --Micah

I've seen VCD copies of Raiders side by side with the digitally remastered VHS tapes on a very high end commercial quality system. The VCD's looked like crap. The technician using the equipment commented it is GIGO - they were probably recorded from a borderline Hi-Fi VCR (as it did have stereo tracks), but the VCD was only as good as its source. The digitally remastered VHS was much more clear. Can't wait for the real thing, though...

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: