Re: The Shoes

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn005a-p2-042.cybertours.com on October 25, 2000 at 20:28:39:

In Reply to: The Shoes posted by Belloq on October 25, 2000 at 10:22:24:

: Why did Spielberg/Lucas decide on the Alden Shoes for Indy?? It seems to me they are an obscure and random boot to use in the movies. Was there any rationale for their decision?

They have been called several things: A "service shoe" (meaning that people in the trades, such as carpentry, etc. can wear them), a bush shoe (making them an obvious choice for our intrepid hero), or a farmer's shoe. The one thing they have going for them as a selection for the period costume is the fact that the design of the shoe has remained consistent from Alden for decades. If you look at old photos from the Depression and the twenties, especially pictures of lower and middle class workers, farmers, etc., you'll see a LOT of ankle-high boots, and a lot of them have that familiar moc-toe and of course, smooth sole that the Aldens have. I think it was a nice choice. They are also orthopedic in design, so they would be comfortable (as we know) for Ford and the Stuntmen to wear for long periods of time, run around and jump in. My two cents on the point...

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]