Isn't deerskin heavier (oz/oz) than cowhide? nm

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by l from ppp67.nwnetwork.net on October 27, 2000 at 03:06:58:

In Reply to: Leather and zipper posted by Obiwampa on October 27, 2000 at 00:58:17:

:
: : Well, I?ve done it again. In the wait for veg tanned goat to show up at Flight Suits, I?ve found another option that some of you may be interested in, and changed my order again. Hey, no skins have been cut yet, right? No harm, no foul.

: : Anyway, I?ve been fielding questions on different leathers, and deerskin came up. Well, FS carries a really nice chrome tanned deerskin, so I asked about the price and basic characteristics of deerskin. First of all, the upgrade price is the same as the horsehide - $100 ? so it is in the same ballpark I was in with my initial horsehide jacket order. On the characteristics, this is how they laid it out:

: : · Durability: Deerskin is supposed to be one of the most durable leathers out there. Dave Marshall put horsehide and deerskin at the top, with goat just slightly below them, then cow, then lambskin at the bottom. Apparently the motorcycle police and motor cross crowd swear by the stuff. Nothing better to be wearing if you?re sliding across pavement at 35 mph?
: : · Appearance: Well, to this Indyfans eyes, this leather looks a lot like lambskin in grain, texture, and sheen. It is very, VERY soft and supple. It has the draping characteristics we?ve all heard attributed to lambskin, but again it is as tough as horsehide. One characteristic I?ve heard people mention is a ?sponginess? to the leather. It does have a slightly spongy feel to it, though personally I like it. It?s a little like having two layers of lambskin, if this makes sense? A bit of Pecards pretty much eliminates it, though ? if you want. It is thicker then lamb, and I prefer that. The color is a very dark brown ? darker then the Wested lambskin ? which I also like very much. A good point of reference would be the appearance of the jacket in the Temple, Imam, Well of Souls, and Flying Wing scenes. Not as accurate as the dark seal brown veg tanned goat to the actual original ?in the flesh?, but true to what it looks like on screen in these scenes. Does this make sense?
: : · Other Characteristics of Deerskin: Deerskin keeps you warm when its cool, but breathes well when it is warmer. It even retains heat very well when wet, and is supposed to ?survive? a drenching better than other leathers. It is, therefore, a favorite of hunters and makes particularly excellent work gloves. It also is reported to be just about the best leather to wear in hot arid climates ? and folks I live in the desert, so? What am I forgetting? Oh, well ? I?m sure it will come to me?

: : Anyway, give this one some thought. I know there were some out there who had initially gone for the horsehide who had some reservations. This seems like a pretty good option. Also, the stuff is in stock ? they?re still awaiting the veg goatskin to show up.

: : Oh, the wait is painful! I know, however, the end is near and I?m excited to see that box show up!

: : Cheers!

: : Patterson

: Ever since I got the flight suit catalog I've been eyeing the deerskin. I just love the look of the civil A-2 they show it in. Superb color, and it even LOOKS soft! Untill now, though, I havent heard anyone talk about it. I think the Exp. would look great in this leather. The veg. tanned goat sounded great but the weight and texture worried me. Indys jacket was rather thin and lightweight due to the unfortunately weak lambskin. Look at the end of the idol scene, when Indy is getting on the plane as it takes off, his jacket is flapping loosely in the wind. You can see the same thing in the sunset scene; as Indy is sillouetted,(sp?), against the sunset he sets his jacket on the ground and the wind makes it look very thin and wispy. You just wouldnt see those property's in Goatskin. Untill now though I feared deerskin would be too soft and fragile for an Indy jacket. Flight suits themselves make no mention of deer being particuraly durable. But I guess now I know!? Soft and thin, yet stronger and smoother than Goat? Sounds good to me!
: I also have a question Patterson. Why a nickel zipper? I thought the original jacket had a brass zipper did it not? Does nickel have any practical advantages or is it just more historically accurate?
: Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]