Ok, a comment

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lobo from ppp56.nwnetwork.net on October 30, 2000 at 23:20:33:

In Reply to: So, are you saying its OK for people to point guns (real, toy, or otherwise) at policemen? posted by Public Servant on October 30, 2000 at 22:12:16:

What struck me as so particularly egregious was that guy's implication that parties attended by people of the moneyed class, the horsey set, whatever you want to call it, who are making six figures, and can afford private security, et cetera, could NEVER witness random violent outbursts or so-called antisocial behavior.
The implications of this remark (albeit uttered in anger and confusion) seem to dismiss the social elite from responsibility for any of the violence and problems experienced by everyone else; the classic "it can't happen here" phenomenon.
Attitudes like this work to cover up very serious problems such as domestic abuse, racial/economic profiling, social Darwinist public policy, and isolationist political rhetoric and movements.
The anger that prompted my little post was at the man's remark, not at the shooting officer and certainly not at the man with the toy gun.
The perception that wealth and priviledge can provide insulation against "the outside world", or that these correlate to a certain impermiability to the shared laws, concerns, and, yes, consequences of aggressive behavior (intended vs. perceived) is very dangerous.
This perception further erodes what should be a relationship in trust between people within a society, and across social/economic lines, but what too often is revealed to be a tense and fearful defensive posture.
Witness the LA riots; I need not continue.
Disregard any others' criticism against your profession, officer.
The best cops are like the best citizens: they approach confrontational situations with a critical eye, yet one not closed to constructive dialogue.
To return this topic to the issue at hand, by way of another mention of class consciousness:
Anyone here find the ambiguities in Chattar Lal's character to be particularly well-situated in pre-Ghandi India?
I sure enjoyed that part; oh, and Indy kicked his ass but good, too...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]