Re: Which begs the question, Fed (if I may call you that)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-176.col.cableone.net on October 31, 2000 at 00:19:42:

In Reply to: Which begs the question, Fed (if I may call you that) posted by lobo on October 30, 2000 at 23:38:31:

: Is it the job that molds the person, or the person that shapes the whay the job is performed?
: You and I both have know idealists who have become jaded by a job, and near-losers who have risen to the occasion and emerged better people for it.
: Again, to bring this to an Indy-like theme, we can restate the essential of the issue as a question of Nature vs. Nurture, or Biology vs. Culture:
: Classic Anthropology 101 Final Exam question:
: Which has more influence, human biological conditioning or human cultural training?
: (Wow, we here have the opportunity to raise the Indyfan Forum to new heights of sophistication! Micah should be proud!)
: As What's-his-head said in Last Crusade, "It all comes down to what you believe".
: So, what do you think?

I would appreciate it if you would just call me Fedora. Common courtesy and all that sort of thing. Your question I think I covered in philosophy around 25 years ago, or maybe Sociology, but not Anthro 101. Seems like we mostly learned a rudimentary understanding of Anthropological terms, and lines of thought, along with a basic knowledge of various cultures, ancient and recent. I didn't do that well in philosophy so I won't make a fool of myself in trying to answer your question. It is to me a philosophical one, and one that has been debated for a very long time. But I think the answer may be found in the way that I think about the above subject. Basically I truly feel that everyone is motivated by something in choosing what they do for a livlihood. The question then arises, what motivates a person to become a cop. And I will admit that there is more than one motivating factor. But, I will also have to say that probably there is one dominant factor, and that is, this urgency that some people have to exert personal power over another indivdual. Power is a very dangerous and addicting drug. So if our police forces are made up of a majority of this type of person, then you are begging for bad things to happen. And they do, on a regular basis. But, every man isn't this way. Does this answer the question, in a round about way? Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]