Tell me...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0073.cvx7-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on November 01, 2000 at 15:43:07:

In Reply to: Well... posted by Patterson on November 01, 2000 at 13:10:37:

: : From the samples I've looked at, I'll say the goatskin is tighter in terms of grain, though it looks great, and the deerskin (suprisingly enough) is a pretty close match in terms of tightness. Deerskin does breathe better than goat...something to consider if you live in a warmer climate. I'm opting for the deerskin now, though before yesterday I had my doubts. The samples sold me. Regards. Michaelson

: :
: : : I've been pondering over this for quite some time. I want to get a Flightsuit jacket and am not sure what leather to get it in. I've heard that deer is good and so is goat and am torn between the two. After doing several searches online and found nothing about either. So now I'm asking you jacket wise men which is the overall leather? I am looking for a leather which will handle well in no matter what climate I place it in (because I travel a lot because of my military background). I've heard good things about both deer and goat and want to know which one can handle great in wet, cold, dry, and hot climates and embody the Indy name.

: : : Thanks
: : : HenryJ

: I believe the answer is that there is no one leather that will outperform all others in all climates and conditions. Each has it's own characteristics, and depending upon the tannage each performs better or worse under different conditions. Also, there is the issue of wearability and comfort.

: Personally? I'd have to put two at the top of my list. Deerskin and kangaroo skin. I base deerskin on the sizable sample Dave Marshall sent me - it has become my security blanket until the jacket arrives.

: Seriously, though, I've had the opportunity to talk to folks who wear deerskin day in and day out - California's finest Highway Patrol motorcycle officers. One, who patrols the Mojave Desert, says it is positively the best leather for the extreme high (110+) and fairly low (sub 25) temperatures he encounters. In a spill he took at 30+ mph, he slid 60 feet on his side and shoulder. His pants and gun belt were shredded. All he had to have done to his jacket was to get a sleeve replaced, though the slide never actually broke the skin of the leather. He's worn cowhide (too heavy and too hot) and goatskin (too hot in the heat and too cold in the cold), and he won't wear anything but deerskin jackets anymore.

: Kangaroo is really nice stuff. The only place you can get it is through US Wings. David Hack went to a lot of trouble to be able to offer it, and based on the jacket I have he hit this one out of the park. The skin is thin but I've not come across anything as strong. It insulates well in cool weather and is wearable in the mid to upper 70's. It is as light, if not a bit lighter in weight than lambskin.

: In summary, kangaroo skin is ultra light, ultra tough, though is not as comfortable in the extreme temperatures as the deerskin seems to be. Deerskin handles the temperature extremes very well, is extremely soft and supple, is very tough (though not quite at the level of roo skin) and is lighter than either horsehide or cowhide, though heavier than lamb, goatskin, or kangaroo skin.

: Personally, I go back and forth on goatskin. Generally, I do not like the pebble grain. The veg tanned stuff FS is getting in is the best I've ever seen. I may break down later and get one of these as well.

: Hope this helps - cheers!

How are texture and grain of roo skin? Does it have a nice feel to it? I gather that roo skin is not quite as supple as deerskin, but a lot lighter. Do you think there is any chance that FS will ever offer a kangaroo skin jacket? Man, I NEED another jacket! Right now the deerskin looks tempting...
Fall Guy
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: