You are an allright guy. Thanks for the reply.(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-49.col.cableone.net on November 01, 2000 at 17:58:15:

In Reply to: Fedora. My Reply posted by Joe D. on November 01, 2000 at 13:29:59:

: Fedora,

: My subject lines were childish, but that's a "technic" thing for me (Most people post and never come back to check responses, but they often do when the subject line is a bit attention getting. My apologies). I'm sure you found the actual text more straightforward.

: You're right about one thing, but it's not testosterone. It's simple frustration. I've been in a position where lawmakers, the business community and the general public have been defining not only what I do in "work" but how I live my life at home as well.

: What I'm talking about is budgets when it comes to work. They say we have enough to do what we're supposed to do, but we don't. The powers that be believe in all honesty that they are absolutely right and there's just no other side to the story. Period. Like your absolute statement. Un-yielding and all incompassing of ALL cops.

: So, I've been wearing one flight suit for over a year and my flight gloves have holes in them. When I ask why I don't have the right gear I'm told it's because we don't have money. Yet my elected representatives say I have money because they're looking at reports written by people who don't know a thing about what we're doing telling him/her that we do have money. It's a lot more complicated than that. I know you will understand what I'm talking about. That is unless you were in during the Reagan years where everything was plentiful.

: Another short example of why I'm frustrated. But this example is in the civilian world. I used to live somewhere with a home owners association. Since I rented at the time, I had no voting rights. It came to pass that because one owner kept two cats in filthy conditions that no one else would be able to keep pets of any kind, PERIOD. She would leave the cats alone for weeks with just an open bag of catfood and a sink of water. Nevermind that my neighbors didn't even know we had a dog and that we vacumned everyday, bathed him once a week, and picked up immediately after him in the yard. That didn't matter, all pets are bad. You're remark is along the same approach, all law enforcement officers who actually desired to take the job are faulty for the reasons you stated.

: I've grown tired of that attitude in my short 33 years of life. You say you were in the Navy. Conscription may not be the best idea since I'm sure you've seen many people stuck in a rate or community where they didn't want to be.

: How about this? After all this ranting on my part, I have to say that I don't disagree with 99% of what you're saying. There's no love lost between me and 99% of the law enforcement guys I've met. But that's not ALL of them. That's my only point here. My nextdoor neighbor, a police detective, was one of the 1%. Just as not all sailors are womanizers, drunks, or what's popularly believed today, homosexual.

: I feel attitudes of absolutism are dangerous. Not all Star Wars fans are geeks. All Trekkers don't live in they're parents basements. Not all Indy Fans are social rejects. So on and so on. Not all cops are what you say they are.

: Joe D.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]