Still not convinced.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie from pm3naxs21-55.naxs.com on November 01, 2000 at 23:04:57:

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've surfed any Indy stuff, good to see some familiar names still. Like the updateshere, and especially over at IndyGear. But, there's some new info there that I'm not sold on...

Regarding the Browning HP versus the M1911A1:

When last I had checked the page at IndyGear, it said something to the effect that Indy carried a .45, and the Browning HP was used as a stand-in during the fight because of the blanks. I can go with that. Now the page says it was, and was supposed to be, a Browning HP, and not a .45.

I've been a long-time fan of the .45, and know it well. I can wholly buy into Indy drawing a Browning in Nepal - you can't ever see the gun as clear as would be wanted, but you can see it enough to tell that there is a step in the frame that isn't on a .45. Yes, he fires seven shots and then has the pistol locked back ready to reload, but it's not like it's a "magic" Hollywood pistol with too many rounds, either.

On board the freighter later, though, it is clearly a .45 in Indy's posession, and not a Browning HP.

Also, while the Browning had just become available, the M1911A1 had been around for 25 years by that point, and would have been MUCH more readily available.

Playing devil's advocate for myself: It's possible that Indy picked up the .45 from Katanga. Or, is the .45 a stand-in for the Browning in that scene??

Any thoughts from anyone?

-Leslie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: