Re: Lucas's Alien Nation

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by New Jersey Hughes from h186.n-D1A278.sac.verio.net on November 02, 2000 at 11:55:49:

In Reply to: Lucas's Alien Nation posted by Indy Fan 0238402 on November 01, 2000 at 19:13:12:

: Your Right...He doesn't owe us anything. He lives in that big house with the big yard and nice car because of the lottery, or inheritance, etc.

I'm a little confused here, perhaps it's your sarcasm, sir; the inference I take from your comment is that Lucas has his big house and nice car because of the money we've all spent on his products over the years. And, that he owes us something more because of it. Am I correct?

Now, if this is true, what exactly where you thinking when buying theatre tickets to Lucasfilm movies, or STAR WARS toys, or INDIANA JONES video games? Were you thinking 'I really don't want this videogame or toy (or whatever), but DO I want Lucas to have the money- but he better do something constructive with it! Otherwise, I'll feel sore and betrayed by his ingratitude' I'm curious as to what you feel you were investing in, when seeing a Lucasfilm, or buying Lucasfilm merchandising, above and beyond what the cashier handed you back?

When you spend $7 on a movie ticket, you get to see a movie, and THAT'S IT. End of transaction. Same with a toy or game or book or poster. You got what you paid for, no more, no less. You are not investing in the future, no matter how you want to look at it. If you feel that you are in some way being robbed, or are being forced to support a tycoon whose decisions you don't care for, the perhaps the police or store security can help you with that man with holding the gun to your head, forcing to buy unwanted merchandise. Lucasfilm products aren't crack cocaine; it's not addictive, and no one's making you 'support' George Lucas' endeavors, which SEEMS to be what your opening comment is about (if I'm wrong, please correct me). Every penny you've ever spent on Lucasfilm product has garnered you an immediate return. If you don't care for what Lucas does with his profits from that, fine. Feel free to hate it. We're all entitled to our opinions. But don't sit there and try to act like you're owed something more than what you've already gotten.

:
: Look, I have never been one to fight for DVD or blast Lucas for
: not releasing stuff because just like Walt Disney, we'll keep buying
: as they keep releasing...But there comes a time
: when all that glitters is not gold and only one of the two above
: has figured out how to do it right...Disney does it without alienating
: fans....Lucas does not. Disney releases new films that are instant classics;
: Lucas does not.

Now, let me get this straight, because I am earnestly trying to understand your point-of-view, sir. If I am reading your statements correctly, you feel that George Lucas is where he is today because of you and your money, and that you are unhappy and dissapointed with him because he is not in the 'instant classic' business. I am loathe to put words in your mouth, but this seems to be what you're saying. If you expect not just good films, not just great films, not even masterpieces, but 'instant classics' from an artist or creator, than I feel you are doomed to be disappointed, no matter what that artist produces. That's quite a burden to lay on a two-hour movie, isn't it? Isn't that akin to giving Mark Macguire a hard time, because he didn't hit a home-run in today's game, when yesterday he made it look easy?

: Personally, I don't owe him ___. I won't say he owes me anything either, but I will say he's where he's at because of me..not the reverse (which you seem to believe.)

And, I'll thank YOU not to put words in MY mouth, sir. If you'll re-read my original post, you will note that I speak for no one else but myself. At no point did I imply that you or anyone else for that matter are 'where they're at' because of Lucas. I was speaking entirely for myself, and I can state for a FACT that the reason why I am a successful artist, working in a creative field of my own choosing, and having traveled the world BECAUSE of my art, is becuase of that science fiction movie I saw the summer of 1977 when I was 10 years old. That film made a big impression on my young mind, and I personally have gotten far more out of the arrangement than Mr. Lucas has, from the (maybe)$3500 I've probably spent on STAR WARS and Indiana Jones-related purchases I've made in the past 23 years.

And, if all you have to show for it is enmity and recrimination, with nothing postive, I humbly suggest that perhaps you might do better to find a new interest, sir.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]