Re: Questions...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MF from h00105a17b29a.ne.mediaone.net on November 02, 2000 at 22:55:19:

In Reply to: Questions... posted by The man who has Coil for a name on November 02, 2000 at 20:05:46:

Millers can only be had from them.

www.millerhats.com or 800-789-0839.

If you get a Miller, I think it's a good hat (A Peters Bros is just better), but if you have any handiness, I think getting an unformed crown is the best best and then pinch it to your liking.

The pre-formed Miller hat is not a bad fedora, and frankly is quite nice! If you are after an indy style specifically, then I'll tell you till my tongue dries that the Miller Indy is a good match for the LC hat. The crown is shorter and 'pointy(er)".

The Miller doesn't have a good upturn to the side of the brim, nor a dimensional cut (which some aren't believers in, and strangely, I'm starting to hear what they're saying), and they have a *major* snap.

These qualities fit the bill for a great LC hat. Think the school scenes, Donovan's place, and Venice. (I have NO idea what hat was used for the deset scenes. I think that was a brown Kid Rock model Biltmore with a 2 1/4" brim).

I guess I understand that the PB is a lot more than the Miller.

If you like the LC hat, then I think you'll be happy. But if you want the look like ROTLA or TD, then I think it's worth the extra $$$ for the PB.

Another plus for PB is if you have a "less usual" head size -- the Peters know their hats and proportions and will make a hat that compliments *you*.

Sigh. Guess I haven't helped a lot! What I'm trying to say is that a Miller is a great LC hat, or great traditional fedora, no less, but no more.

If you have other goals, PB is your better bet.

// mf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]