Just to answer your questions...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on November 03, 2000 at 13:11:20:

In Reply to: Re: Why hats...out of style/ hat etiquette posted by Tim Elliott on November 02, 2000 at 23:48:25:

Yes, no, and yes. If it's an "enclosed" situation (unless I'm just passing through) the fedora comes off. If I'm "in transit", such as an airport, train station, it stays on. It depends on what I'm doing at the time (of course). Regards. Michaelson

Fedora sez:
: : :I wear fedoras everywhere I go, except to church, where I would have to take it off anyway.

: Some religions require one's head to be covered, but I take your point. I recently traveled from Los Angeles to Washington, DC, and I found myself wondering how anyone managed to remove his hat indoors - does an airport count as indoors? - and still be able to grapple with luggage and tickets and such.

: Here's a nugget from an "Etiquette Today" site:
: >>>>>>
: Q: My 15-year-old son wants to wear his baseball cap (backward, of course) everywhere. My husband and I constantly argue with him about where and when it's appropriate. Do you have guidelines?

: A: I say that in most places, it's hats off. The basic guideline still applies: Men and boys don't wear hats indoors, unless religious custom dictates it. That means caps should be removed in most restaurants, in classrooms and churches, and usually inside the house. I empathize with your problem, however, since my stepsons and nephews also went through a phase of wearing caps wherever and whenever they could. An exception to the rule is in homes in which the adults have given permission to keep caps on. In my own house, I draw the line at wearing a cap to the dinner table.
: >>>>>>

: How about it, fedora fans? Do you remove your hats in elevators when a woman is present? Airports? Airplanes? To paraphrase a saying, What would Indy do? [whack! "That's for blasphemy..."]

: Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]