Re: Mark allen VS david morgan, in a death defying battle of skill and craftsmanship

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris from 209.171.221.56 on November 03, 2000 at 17:04:59:

In Reply to: Mark allen VS david morgan, in a death defying battle of skill and craftsmanship posted by Indy Pete on November 03, 2000 at 07:08:59:

: ok, another question...

: mark allen's indy style bullwhip isn't the "authentic" bullwhip used in the movies...ok, but it's also a bit cheaper than the david morgan(and therefore earns a lot of points) but since i've handled neither in my hands, i'd like to know others opinions.

: i've worked with bullwhips before, but it was for a medieval faire and the whips that i could get there are "eccentric"...i.e. strange colors, blah blah blah...i'm tryin to make a costume here, so i'd like either the mark allen, or the david morgan...

: thanks guys
: pete

Hey Pete, I've been handling Bullwhips close to 20 years. I have both the David Morgan and the Mark Allen bullwhips. Actually I have 2 10foot DM bullwhips and 4 10foot MA bullwhips. When I ordered my first bullwhips from DM about 10 years ago the whip only cost me about, if I can remember, $295. The craftmanship is very good as one would expect from DM. 6 years later I payed $440 for my second DM bullwhips and found that the quality had not changed, actually I found a number of flaws in my second DM bullwhip. When the prices started to go up every year I had to look for a different source for bullwhips and came across Mark Allen. I started ordering his bullwhips and found only slight differences such as a double turks head knot on the butt of the whip compared to the triple head turks knot on the DM bullwhip. The last 10 foot bullwhip I ordered from MA about 8 months ago I was very impressed with. The kangaroo hide seemed thicker and heavier then the previous DM bullwhip I ordered. I think David Morgan now has people working under him constructing his bullwhips. You got to remember that DM is now probably in his mid 80's and after years of plaiting the hands can only take so much.
I have talked to DM over the years a few times and he is a remarkable
man so please do not think that I am bashing his work, his bullwhips are what other bullwhips are measured by. Myself I just can't see paying $200 plus dollars more for something I can get cheaper with the same quality and handling characteristics as the DM bullwhip. Also it only takes me about 2 weeks to get a MA bullwhip. They are both great quality bullwhips that I am very pleased to own. As I mentioned earlier in my posting I've been handling whips for close to 20 years, it's a great hobby. Both whips are very durable and can take the harsh environments I have subjected them to. Anyways I hope this helps you in your decision.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]