Now, how does that old saw go? You can please some ot the people , some of the time, but you can never please all of the people, all of the time(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-22.col.cableone.net on November 03, 2000 at 21:43:33:

In Reply to: For a God, your eyes aren't too sharp.... posted by New Jersey Hughes on November 02, 2000 at 10:53:11:

: ...you seemed to either miss or ignore completely my 'wink' emoticon, there at the end. I put the 'let's take it outside' joke there as a way to lighten things up, as the subject of George Lucas always seems to lather some people up. Am I wrong? Go check out the forum archives, God; look for the George Lucas death threats, in particular. The ones that go along the lines of 'Jar-jar binks sucks! Sumbody oughtta shoot George Lucas and put us outta our misery!" Some folks seem to feel personally violated that George Lucas is apparently using their hard-earned tax dollars to fund his deranged Ewok-filled fantasies.

: I'll tell you what's sad AND funny, in my opinion, sir. People who think that they know what someone else NEEDS to do, with THEIR properties and withholdings. Let me ask you this: if YOU were a creator of some sort, and a bunch of your fans decide that they don't like your most recent work, what would YOU do if some of them suggested you give up your craft to someone else? Would YOU listen? Would you say "Hmmm. I'M happy with what I'm doing, but this guy in Idaho says I suck now. Gee, I better give it all away..." Would you give that guy's opinion the time of day? Would you give a damn about anyone who critiques your work by using the word 'suck'? Nope. You tune people like that out. You listen to people who voice their displeasure intelligenly, and are able to convey their unhappiness in a calm, eloquent manner.

: And, I have to add my surgeon generals' warning, as anyone with the temerity to actually DEFEND George Lucas usually gets derided as a sycophant: I agree, wholeheartedly, with the general consensus. I feel that JEDI is a three-star film in a four-star trilogy, and as such, comes across as weak by comparison. I found PHANTOM MENACE to be a mediocre film with high production standards that pretty much rode on STAR WARS' street cred, all the way to the bank. Does that mean that Lucas should stop making them? Or never do another Indy film? Hell no. It's his money, it's his property. In a business where artistic decisions are made by committees, and creative properties are owned by corporations, the fact that one guy does his own thing is a pretty good thing, in my opinion. It doesn't really matter what we think of the end result. If you don't like it, then perhaps you shouldn't go see EPISODE II or INDY 4.

: But, that's all still just one guy's opinion.

: ;-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]