Filson Boots Report

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MF from h00105a17b29a.ne.mediaone.net on November 03, 2000 at 23:25:38:

Having worn the Filsons for a few months now, I've become very attached to them.

How do they compare to Aldens?

They're a different style in the details, fewer eyelets, different upper styling, but still a moc-toe boot. Soles are black Vibram Gumlites. (LL Bean uses them on their Brown Bear oxfords, a pair of which I've had for 2+ years and are now showing some significant wear.)

The Alden is a light-colored shoe out of the box. The Filson is a darker brown. For some, this may be an issue -- I waterproof and condition my shoes before wearing them.

The Alden is a stiff sturdy shoe. The fit is very good, I can't over-emphasize the necessity of getting fit properly for them. The ride might be described as "harsh".

The Filson is a "springy" shoe, feeling more cushioned in comparison. It's also a roomier shoe, with a tad more space.

The Filson footbed is very interesting -- feels much a like Birkenstock sandal - very strange to begin with, but molds to your foot over time becoming extremely accomodating.

Filsons are leather lined inside. Aldens, fabric.

They are definitely not a cost-alternative (being actually a few bucks more than Aldens) but for those who want another shoe in the same style, or who like a slightly more cushioned shoe, I think these are worth a look.

I bought mine directly from Filson and selected my normal shoe size (10).

My local Alden dealer fitted me a 9 1/2 for the 405s...

// mf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]