Re: Isn't "Mark Allen" is kind of a generic term, really?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from A050-1135.FLNT.splitrock.net on November 08, 2000 at 23:58:23:

In Reply to: Isn't "Mark Allen" is kind of a generic term, really? posted by Patterson on November 06, 2000 at 11:59:20:

: Dan - correct me if I mistate?

: When you get an Indy style whip from Mark Allen, there are a few different whips you may get. Some are made in Australia - by Terry Jacks, I believe? They are very nice whips, but are constructed differently - i.e. the thong stays very substantial farther out into the whip from the handle. They also carry a Joe Strain double plaited belly model that is constructed along the same lines as the David Morgan. I own two of these, and though I'd definietly call myself a novice, I'd have to say the only difference I've felt between these and the David Morgan's I've had the privelege to handle, is in this - the Morgan feels slightly heavier in the first 8-10 inches of thong, and the Morgan already feels "broken in" when it is new.

: I believe David trained Joe?

: Anyway - I hope this helps.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Mark’s company sells several bullwhips that might fit the “Indy” style description. In my previous post I was referring to Mark’s 12 plait, shorter heavy handle Australian bullwhip patterned off of David Morgan’s No#451 series. The Mark Allen company used to refer to a couple of their different bullwhips as Indiana Jones style, but they have pretty much changed that in recent catalogs. The Australian bullwhip they sell for example used to be classified as an Indy whip even though the design is very different. Their current Indiana Jones models WI05B through WI12B are the ones closest to David Morgan’s bullwhip.

Mark actually has several whip makers working for him. Unfortunately they are hesitant to say who is making what whip other that they employ many highly skilled whipmakers. I have heard that more than one whipmaker makes Mark Allen’s Indiana Jones bullwhip, (though I have not been able to confirm that myself). In any case they are made to a highly specified design and aside from a few minor differences in the physical appearance and weight. They are very similar to David Morgan’s bullwhip, You’re right, Joe was David Morgan’s apprentice.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]