Excellent points as well

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace064.utsi.edu on November 09, 2000 at 16:29:36:

In Reply to: good point posted by Inbanana on November 09, 2000 at 15:52:59:

I've forwarded this over to my daughter as an example of what NOT to do in her archaeology career. Regards. Michaelson

: We were just talking about this in the office this morning.
: I agree with your remarks about the professional pressure, especially for someone without the "credentials".
: This story tells one a lot about the cultural differences also, as much as it does about the classism inherent in academia.
: Not that I'm making excuses either; but the socio-cultural context of this story is at least as fascinating as the desperate professional error.
: Interesting that the story's author emphasized the characterization of Japanese archaeology as a "gentlemen's profession", apparently stressing form over deeply focused scientific inquiry.
: Compare this with the recent field trip of a dozen skeptical US archaeologists to Chile to examine Tom Dillehay's early (pre?) Holocene site at Monte Verde; absolutely no punches were pulled there, although the skeptics came away convinced the site context was genuine and intact.
: Anyway, this does appear a sad finale to what sounded like a dynamic career.
: We can all remind ourselves of the importance of integrity in our work and lives, I guess.
: It can be too tempting to become " a shadowy reflection" of one's aspirations, and to be pushed over the edge.
: sad news like this just adds to the bizarre character of the last couple of days (ie Florida...)
: -Inby

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]