Oh, but, syncretism is such a nice , warm and fuzzy term. Perverted seems more to the point. (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-52.col.cableone.net on November 10, 2000 at 20:54:55:

In Reply to: perverted may not be the most descriptive term posted by Inby on November 10, 2000 at 03:32:30:

: An anthropologist might use the term "syncretism", which conveys a sense of intermixing of ideas and philosophies, and the creation of something new, but which has deep historic roots.
: A reason gospels were recorded in Greek probably has more to do with the authors' goal of reaching the widest educated audience for their message, a very real desire to proselytize. The lingua franca among ancient Mediterranean educated was in fact Greek, in spite of the fact of Roman governance. An educated Roman was taught to read Greek, much as colonial Americans studied French (as the upper classes do today (archaism holdover, but don't get me started!))...
: I cannot recall the references at the moment, but there are several good, authoritative studies exploring the historical connections of early Christianity, Greek philosophy and religion, and Vedic/Hindu thought. The Ancient World was not quite as balkanized as we commonly imagine today; there is suggestion that the various authors of the gospels wandered far afield of the Eastern Med. and were quite influenced by different ideas.
: A nice study of that part of the world and that era that I DO remember the title of is Colin Renfrew's "Archaeology and Language" (and it's written by an archaeologist, so you know you can trust it!).
: cheers,
: Inby

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: