Re: The writing in ROTLA

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Katanaga from du-001-0153.freeuk.com on November 12, 2000 at 10:56:49:

In Reply to: The writing in ROTLA posted by Sean on November 12, 2000 at 08:56:57:

Hmm I'm not sure I agree with all your points - I think that the actors are basically playing one dimensional characters. Sure Lucas and Spielberg really know how to pick a cast (especially supporting characters), but are any of them really given any room - all the villans are bad and all the heros are good. Belloq only shows a bit of emotion because he wants Marion for himself.

The story is basically a rehash of the fairy tale genre which worked really well in Star Wars. It's a really basic structure passed down from Ancient Mythology where the hero kills the dragon (the Nazis) and rescues the princess with the help of certain people (Yoda/Imam/Merlin) and his magic weapon (Excalibur/Bullwhip/Light Saber).

This is why the films work, because they return to the basic elements of telling a good story - they don't make it complicated so you don't have to concentrate that hard.

That said Raiders is my favorite film of all time - pure escapist entertainment.

PS That scene where Indy says he hates snakes in Jocks plane makes me wince everytime I see it - obvious or what? They really crowbared that in.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]