Re: The writing in ROTLA

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kent Allard from dial126.insolwwb.net on November 12, 2000 at 12:55:34:

In Reply to: Re: The writing in ROTLA posted by Sean on November 12, 2000 at 11:28:07:

: I definately agree with your points regarding mythology. The one thing I would say is that, granted, "Raiders" re-hashes the mythology "genre," but in an inventive and original way while adhering to the "conventions" demanded by the cliff-hanger (ie: heroin always rescued in the nick of time) Also, I think the power of Spielberg and even Ford is that they make it LOOK easy. Isn't that amazing? At any rate, I welcome any discussion like this, as opposed to some of the other stuff talked about here!
: Cheers,
: Sean

Hello Sean, yes I think I do agree with all of your ideas. But I would like to put one thing in addition (you did say this could be over all the films), well I would like to make this point my personal favorite Indy film is Raiders, but I would like to explain why I like Temple of Doon, beside it being just another good adventure!

Alright let me say one thing: Temple took place in 1935, Raiders was 1936, Crusade was 1938. Now then, I've heard a lot of complaints with; "Why does Indy in ToD say "Fortune and Glory" but then in LC He says 'It belongs in a museum'", well we see him say that both in his youth and his elder life. So let's think maybe when Indy was younger he really believed the "It Belongs in a Museum" quote, but then later in his life, it doesn't exactly mean as much to him, maybe with his studies with Abner Ravenwood he took on the belief that maybe it was just "Fortune and Glory", and thats how Indy begins in ToD but later, maybe by seeing the happy joyous faces as he frees the children, and returns the stones to the village he makes his own discovery, that maybe it is good to believe there is good. But we also hear him say in Raiders "That's the whole reason we got into Archeaology". So I'm just guessing maybe Indy took a turn throughout his life to get to the "It Belongs in a Museum"!

But Raiders always and still is one of my favorite adventures. Theres nothing that's ever come close... I watched Romancing the Stone, it didn't even come close to being worthy of being compared to Indiana... he is what every man dreamed of being. But I heard this mentioned before, he doesn't win: The Idol was taken from him, The Ark was taken by the government, he gave the stone to the village instead of his fortune and glory, and the grail fell down a hole!

Kent Allard

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]