Re: The writing in ROTLA

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from d141-46-146.home.cgocable.net on November 12, 2000 at 18:16:28:

In Reply to: Re: The writing in ROTLA posted by Katanga on November 12, 2000 at 18:02:06:

NO not boring at all! Like I said, I'd welcome any kind of discussion like this.
I always thought of it this way. The important "quest" elements of the Indiana Jones films had nothing to do with artifacts which could explain why he doesn't retain them at the end of the films. In fact, the ark, shankara stones & grail are inconsequential. In each of the film the real quest undertaken was a discovery of personal meaning. I know this sounds funny, but bear/bare (I can never remember) with me. In "Raiders" Indy sort of attones for his past with Marion that is briefly alluded to. He makes right the wrongs of the past, not to mention re-inforcing democratic ideals. In "Temple of Doom," the "lesson" is far more shallow - some things are more important than money. In "Last Crusade" I think he learns that the process is more valuable than the outcome. That's off the top of my head...but nevertheless I think what he takes away from each movie is more valuable than the artifact itself.
As for what you said about Spielberg - not sure what to say but you have given me something to mull over, to be sure.
Cheers,
Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: