Actually, I do

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on November 13, 2000 at 12:47:56:

In Reply to: Re: The writing in ROTLA posted by Hazelton on November 12, 2000 at 21:26:53:

Not real sure what you mean by that "crack", as we discussed this topic and topics like it until we picked the bones bare and went for the marrow LONG before most of you arrived here at the forum. Just go back into the vaults and read the evidence. It's just that no one has brought these topics BACK into the forum, and therefore we've discussed and pursued what YOU, the members of the forum, found interesting, and followed that flow. "Topic worthy of our intellects" indeed! Michaelson

: Okay, here's my take: Thank heaven for a topic worthy of our intellects! Not that I wish to denigrate the efforts of Patterson, Michaelson, et al. Oh no, far from it. However--In my view, Raiders of the Lost Ark was a film that combined genres. It mixed up elements of the cliffhanger serials of the 30's and 40's with the individual superman mythos and visual energy of the James Bond films. I think that's why we like it so much: There's nothing really unfamiliar in it, it's just been mixed from ingredients that hadn't been put together before, at least not so well. With the visual style, great music and good dialogue, we're more inclined to ignore holes in the plot like the fact that snakes are attracted to heat, not repelled by it; how in the hell did Indy hold his breath all the way from the middle of the Mediterranean to a Greek island while on top of a submerged submarine (and how did he mange to hold on?); Tanis was discovered in the 1920's; how could people who didn't even use the wheel set up slowly closing doors, light-sensitive spike traps, etc. and on and on. Remember, Spielberg and Lucas were on vacation in Hawaii when Spielberg told Lucas he wanted to make a James Bond film, and it shows in the structure of the final movie: the "teaser" beginning, showing us how much prowess our hero has, the briefing scene, showing us why our hero is probably our best bet to keep a weapon that could destroy the world out of the grasp of the bad guys, and lots of fighting, car chases and explosions in exotic locales around the world. Sallah is to Indy what Felix Leiter is to James Bond. Marion is the Indy girl du jour. I could go on and on (if I haven't already) about the parallels between these two movie franchises, but I guess I've made my point. What do you think?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]