Since you asked...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on November 14, 2000 at 17:15:16:

In Reply to: Indiana Jones or Star Wars? posted by Indiana Eastwood on November 12, 2000 at 22:17:30:

: I was referring back to a list the American Film Institute had made in 97/98 about the hundred greatest films of all time. "Star Wars" was labeled as the 15th and, as odd as it sounds, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was the 60th. I know that "Star Wars" has many more characters that Raiders and a whole galaxy of its own, but here's my question: Why do some people like Star Wars instead of Indiana Jones? Personally, I feel that "Raiders" is a movie with no flaws and you couldn't make it better. Although "Star Wars" was a GREAT movie,it had a little share of corny dialogue."The Empire Strikes Back" confused the audience, because it didn't have a merry ending, and the fans had to wait 3 years to find out what happened to Han Solo."TOD" may have been dark, but it had a happy ending. I love both film series, but the question stands: Do you like Indy or Star Wars more?

I never liked Star Wars. It always seemed to me to be too simplistic with its characters, religious overtones that beat you over the head. That being said, I think part of your argument against it is unfair. Star Wars will get top billing because its fan base, while not necessarily the largest, is the most devoted, vocal, and visible. Star Trek, for example, really has a very small niche in the American popular culture, yet its survived 34 years, (soon to be) 10 movies, and 4 TV series. The reason...it's fans are vocal and passionate, and it's a series, like Star Wars, that is almost a "love it or hate it" proposition. Indy's fan base is much larger, IMO but I have no data to back that up, much more diversfied, but not nearly as vocal. Lucas doesn't really have a story in mind for Indy 4, despite his protestations to the contrary on the latest VHS release, otherwise, why would "the Sixth Sense guy" be writing for it. He always had a story in mind (or so he says) for Star Wars. It all comes down to knowing what you want, and I think in terms of Indy Lucas doesn't know what he wants to do with it, so here we are enduring Star Wars prequels and merchandise mania. Which brings up another point: Star Wars is much more conducive to merchanising than Indy. There are more toys, playsets, characters, and costumes to churn out for that rather than Indy.

As far as SW V & VI are concerned, AFI lists Star Wars in it's top 100, not Empire or ROJ. Don't blame ANH for the faults of its successors.

Just my $0.03,
BK

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: