I've been throwing money your way--and everybody else's--for years. It's called "taxes"... [And so much more--inside!]

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aaron from usr1-modem109.runestone.net on November 14, 2000 at 22:44:27:

In Reply to: In that case..how about throwing me some cash if you've got some to spare posted by Indy Fan 038042 on November 13, 2000 at 23:35:13:

You're right--you don't sound like you want to be responsible.

As for your "figures," well, those kind of figures start to get disturbing once the figure reaches "one." I find it appalling that you would warrant the possibility of legalized wrongful death, just so that you can save a few bucks in taxes.

Another thing: perhaps, I dunno, the reason that you won't find many reports of innocent executions is because once somebody is dead, the courts kinda drop their case and may never find "the rest" of the evidence, maybe? I mean, I hate to slap anybody in the face with the obvious, but...

On one count, you're absolutely right: there's much more to this issue--any issue--than what the media portrays, and it's idiotic to base one's political position on some 20/20 expose. I'm basing my opinions on something that holds a little more "umf": doing the right thing. One innocent life lost is cause for a "step back" to observe the system. And I think we can both agree that the death penalty has taken more than just one innocent life. Don't believe me? Go to the library and do some work yourself.

And one last note: I think we got off on the wrong foot here. Not that I wish this argument hadn't taken place--I find it quite stimulating--but I think we may be arguing the wrong points. I am not for abolishing the death penalty. I'm for revamping it, putting it in check. It's a government program, therefore, inevitably, it has holes. I just believe we need to take a step back, and find what needs tweaking. I would suggest looking at the supreme and final power of our nation's judicial branch.

Basically, while your "throw the noose up in the town square" statement is a tad sickening, I see the underlying logic behind your words: there are instances that can warrant a death sentence. That much I agree with. Other than that? Well...see above.

Argumentatively,
Aaron

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: