Hmmmm...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on November 15, 2000 at 11:52:07:

In Reply to: USWings color...how accurate? posted by The Spatsman on November 15, 2000 at 02:53:20:

: hey, gang
: I have literally drooled over the detailed FS Jacket descriptions that Patterson has favored this Forum with, but I can tell you for a fact that the USWings jackets are far more reasonable in price for my household. I know the USWings goatskin has been praised for durability, and is considered by many to be the finest example of a 'Temple' jacket available. Well, I've been to the USWings site, and looked at all the Indy jackets, and I spotted something that troubled me.
: I have always considered Indy's outerwear to be an off-black color, the darkest of dark brown. The USWings lambskin and cowhide jackets agree with this quite nicely, but the goatskin is a light milk chocolate color, like a paper grocery sack. Is this the photo's lighting, or is the USWings goatskin REALLY that light?
: If it is, is it possible to specify a darker color from USWings?
: Oh, and one more thing...will USWings consider a custom change,...like adding gussets?
: If you have done business with USWings, I'd love to hear from you, especially since I understand Sgt. Hack to be a decent guy.
: Thanks in advance,
: The Spatsman
:

Interpreting the actual colors from the pictures on US Wings site is a bit problematic. Also, I'd question what you have written above - the goatskin is about as dark brown as you can get. Well, as for the original color, it was nowhere near black, but was a rich seal brown with slight reddish highlights where the distressing showed through. How this showed on screen varies by scene and is interpreted differently by different people, it seems. The result is - what color do you like? The lamb (from reports by Sgt. Hack) is virtually identical in color to the vintage cowhide, which I have. This is a medium/dark brown in a finish that does lend itself to rapid aging. After about 2 years, my cowhide version looks terrific. I also have the roo skin, which has more red to it, with areas that hint at the black underpigment they've applied. The result is a really nice vintage hand finish that holds up to a lot of abuse. My son has a goatskin Lil' Indy, which is a very nice dark, DARK brown. I believe the regular Indy jacket is made from the same stuff, and it is very durable. My 8 year old has given it a pretty good dose of abuse, and it still looks brand new. I figure after his sister gets her shot at it in a year or so, the grandkids will have a chance as well.

The only other jacket from US Wings is the VIP - Michaelson has one, and he's been raving about it since it arrived (not to be read as "Michaelson is a raving [fill in the blank]" - (grin) my friend). I understand it is a deep, rich brown.

As far as modifications - US Wings does not do custom fitting or alterations to their patterns. Sgt. Hack and I went down the path towards modifying their patterns towards the goal of an authentic reproduction of the Raiders jacket, at the same time we also worked with Flight Suits on their patterns. In the end, it became more work on their part to modify a pattern that really works for them. As said, it is a dead ringer for the Temple jacket, other than a few minor mods - left hand zipper and two pronged buckles on the side straps. The Temple jacket did not have gussets, nor did the Last Crusade jacket.

Hope this helps - cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: