I believe you may be.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on November 16, 2000 at 13:59:32:

In Reply to: Re: Well...in my case.... posted by Sean on November 16, 2000 at 08:35:12:

Having worked in the video production industry for over 26 years now, I am indeed involved, and a lot of time responsible with and for continuity in a production, and the importance it plays in the presentation of a particular project. If the audience attention is drawn away from the "message" of the given project, whether it's a full blown movie or just a training tape, due to an error in details or continuity, then the individual responsible FOR watching for continuity errors etc. is drawing his/her pay under false pretenses. Of course, mistakes do occur, and short cuts are taken by producers to achieve a final product under or at budget, but many people do indeed have the hobby of looking for those "errors" that can and do occur, and for some they learn from the error if they're budding cimematographers/videographers, and for others it's just the challenge to "catch" the director/producer in a snafu. Nothing harmful in this pursuit, and can be fun at times. It's those glaring errors that jump out at you that are a bit hard to take, as if you read the credits at the end of every production, they are paying an awful lot of folks for their expertise, and apparently it went for nothing. Regards. Michaelson

: Hi Jimmie:
: I see your points, but I'd like to know, do you work in film continuity? I'm working towards a degree in film and video right now, but I didn't think "that bookcase looks fake," or "Harrison's lips are moving in that scene," were part of deconstructing a film. I know how snotty this sounds and I apologize, I'm not trying to be difficult. For me, the practice of finding so-called mistakes in film (which a fake bookcase is NOT) is mean-spirited in a sense. Usually the forum members who post these "mistakes" use a very negative tone, which leads me to believe they are knocking the films for their artificiality. My point it, of course there will be fake bookcases etc...film is fake, an illusion. I just don't understand how finding flaws can contribute to enjoyment of a film. It's not like the fake bookcases etc...contribute thematically to the film's mise en scene or anything. Furthermore, 90% of the "errors" people point out here aren't really errors at all. Or bloopers. Or mistakes. I think I'm in the minority here though!
: Please respond.
: Cheers,
: Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: