Absolutely, friendly and lively. Best regards. Fedora

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-18.col.cableone.net on November 16, 2000 at 17:30:04:

In Reply to: Re: OK Greg, just which fedora does the HJ look like? posted by Greg on November 15, 2000 at 23:01:38:

: : : Actually, there is only one Indy Hat, and THAT hat is the Herbert Johnson Poet. Like it or not folks, all of them were the Herbert Johnson fedoras. The Peters Brothers hats only LOOK like the Indy Hat. If you're going for a lower priced hat that LOOKS like the Indy hat, go with the Peters Brothers one. I'm told it's nice and you won't be disappointed. If you want the authentic hat (meaning the same make and model of the film hats), go with a Herbert Johnson. If you can't afford either, than go with whatever YOU decide looks good. This has been a stance of mine from the very beginning of this hobby. Buy what makes you happy-not what other people tell you to buy. Some don't like the looks of the HJ hat. They've chosen to look elsewhere. Some think the lower priced Millers and Stetsons look fine. That's cool too! Just my two cents...

: : : Greg (2 HJ owner).

:
: :
: : No one here would dispute that HJ did in fact supply the hats used in all 3 movies. But which hat does HJ sell currently? Is it the Raiders fedora, the TOD fedora, or TLC fedora? Each hat had a different block to the crown, as well as different crown heights. I have owned a bunch of different fedoras, and not one ever came close to looking like the Raiders fedora. This ended when I recieved my first PB fedora. Many folks here were after the Raiders look, and from what I have read here on this forum, supposedly the HJ looks like TLC fedora. I have also been told that folks have recieved hats from HJ with different crown heights. I doubt seriously if the HJ is of any higher quality than a PB, or an Akubra for that matter. Afterall, the HJ is made of rabbit fur, the same as the PB and Akubra Campdraft. I could understand it, if the HJ was made of beaver fur, or even mink, or a blend of both, but this is not the case. Just because it costs more is no indication of quality. The price of this hat is high only because of the type of store that sells it. Wonder how many times HJ has changed hat suppliers over the years? I bring all this up only because you make such sweeping statements in the defense of the HJ. In the end, if you want a high quality Raiders fedora, buy yourself a PB. If you want the same hat supplier as used by the films, go with the HJ. If you want what Indy would have worn, buy American. I am sure that first fedora that was placed on his head by Fedora,was made here in the good old U.S.A. Regards, Fedora

: I don't think that anything you've said is in dispute. I was just questioning the sweeping statement "There is only one Indy Hat" and your suggestion that it be the Peters Brothers hat. Now if you had said "there is only one Raiders Hat," I might not have challenged you, because I agree that the current HJ manifestations look a lot more like the TOD or LC hats. If you read my entire post, I pointed out that it really all comes down to personal preference instead of listening to people like you and me telling folks which hat they should or shouldn't buy. Enough said I guess... Keepin' it friendly and lively... Hopefully!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]