Bigger isn't Better

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Northlander from c1p52.uplogon.com on August 28, 1998 at 16:09:03:

In Reply to: Re: United Indy Forum posted by Michaelson on August 27, 1998 at 12:15:40:

: : I've checked out the new forum at Indy World, and I prefer the ease of use of this forum. The interface of this new "feature-laden" forum simply makes it more difficult to access the information that you want by hiding it in a serpentine maze of "threads" and "topics." It's a good try and a worthy effort, but Micah's tried and true board is an overall more efficient, easily-accesible, and indyfan-friendly environment. The sense of community created by this board would disappear in "a New York minute" at the UIF. To Bordok and all the rest at Indy-World, great idea, bad execution. For all Tolk fans out there let me give you a little analogy: you want to find a certain Dunedain in Rivendell and... BAM!! There he is. Now, try and find that same Dunedain in... Moria. The last Homely House, or Khazad-Dum. I'm sticking with Elrond/Micah and Rivendell/Indyfan. Fortune and glory to you all. --Elendil

: Once again, well said regarding the forum. I tried it too this morning, and it just takes to long to access the information where I can scan this one quickly, and as was said above, the community feel that has existed here is lost there. Would you believe that just this morning I spoke with a vendor in Virgina who spoke of our forum and mentioned the folks by forum nicknames as identification? I knew of everyone of them, and some of them were from overseas! That's the kind of community that this forum has achieved out "there". Micah, please think long and hard about this. Regards. Michaelson

Bordok seems to think that more features make a forum better, but I say that it's the sense of community that makes a forum great. This forum has that, and I have yet to see a full-featured forum that can boast the same. Anything that gets in the way of easy communication cannot be called an improvement. Aside from that, I've been told that someone has already registered "The Northlander" over there and is up to no good. So much for that particular "feature".... If I'm going to talk Indy on the Internet, it will be at Micah's Indyfan Forum.

-Northy-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]