Color, Movies, and Hats

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MK from adsl-63-194-18-73.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on November 19, 2000 at 12:55:31:

In Reply to: Sure doesn't look black to me posted by Fedora on November 19, 2000 at 00:11:19:

Black is a color that is sometimes avoided in movies because it is difficult to photograph. It takes a pro to keep it from looking like a black hole in the film. I have the same problem when we shoot product shots for my magazine. Having said that, I should tell you that the comparision pic is not a raw scan. It is rare when a pic does not need color correcting. I had to tweak the color and contrast to make it match what you see with the naked eye. In regards to the pic of my fedora, when I corrected to match the color of the felt, the new black ribbon looked dark brown! I really had to work it to make it look black. This little exercise has been educational for me. I have experience in motion pictures, printing, and computers in regards to color. But even with a trained eye I can't say with certainty what color the ribbon was in Raiders. At least with the evidence we have.

The important thing is contrast. That Petersham could not provide the contrast needed. The ribbon on the Peter Bros looks great. What is it?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]