Well, you twisted my arm...[or did you?]

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aaron from usr1-modem017.runestone.net on November 20, 2000 at 22:56:29:

In Reply to: Re: For those FS customers... posted by Professor Jones on November 20, 2000 at 22:18:53:

:...how about your opinion on the FS jacket?

Okay...

First, a quick rundown of what I ordered:

-Expidition-style jacket in dark brown vegetable tanned goatskin

-Size 40L

-$428 + $28 for 1.5 inches more in the sleeves + $50 to upgrade to veg. tanned goat + $6.50 S&H = $512.50.

Now that that is out of the way, on to the good stuff...

First of all, let me say that the jacket as a whole is a marvelous piece of work, and from my observations and what I have heard from others, every detail is spot-on for a Raiders jacket.

Specific to my jacket: the veg. tanned goatskin is the perfect choice for me. Big thanks to Patterson for giving us the heads-up to this new leather offering. I am very glad that I did not switch over to deerskin, as I had considered a week or two ago. My goatskin is thick enough as it is--I couldn't stand it if it had any more width, i.e. deerskin. Plus, the steel-tough goatskin will be perfect for my Minnesota winters [up here, you don't really want a leather that breathes a lot!]. The color is close to that attractive dark brown that it seems we all want.

Also, I'd like to comment on sizing: as I've heard at least one other customer report, depending on one's build, these jackets may tend to be too large in the chest and too short in the sleeves. As luck would have it, I was already concerned about this way back in September when I ordered, and instead of comprimising on a larger overall size to achieve the correct sleeve length that I need, I sized my chest exactly, gave myself 2 inches to spare, and then just payed the $28 extra to lengthen the sleeves accordingly. It was well worth it. The torso portion of my jacket is just baggy enough for my tastes [maybe too baggy for some], and the sleeves are a near perfect match as well.

Basically, my word of advice for prospective buyers here is do not trust your past sizings. Take the measurements as listed at the Flight Suits website yourself, or have someone else supervise. You will thank me.

Oh, and one other bit I thought I'd bring up: when Patterson reported that the lining of the jacket would not be cotton or satin, I became a little worried, as I can't stand the feel of some of those "unnatural" fabrics out there. However, the lining on this puppy is quite smooth [comparable to satin], and from my experience [and that already includes a few wristwatch snags], quite tough. Kudos to Flight Suits here.

As a matter of fact, kudos to Flight Suits for the whole thing! Marvelous! Now if I could only find my digital camera software...

Questions? Comments?

Aaron

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: