Just curious...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on November 21, 2000 at 11:29:58:

In Reply to: Cowhide vs Lambskin (here we go again) posted by Reggie on November 21, 2000 at 01:01:09:

: I was just reading about how sombody's Wested ripped here on the forum. I went to US Wings.com and was looking at their Indy jackets. They clearly say that lamb is known for its softness but cowhide is stronger. But here on the forum I hear that Lamb is stronger. I am interested in wested because no other Indy jacket lookes the way it does, and it has a great price tag. No other jacket,not even Flightsuits screams Indy like Wested. I also read that you can order a wested in cowhide. I think I read that at Indy's Digs. But will cowhide look like lambskin? A soft feeling jacket is nice, but I'd rather have one that will last me for the rest of my life. And as for lambhide, there is controversy as to wheather it even exists! Please help!
: -Reggie

Do you own either the Flight Suits or US Wings jackets? If not, then I'm not sure how you can say "No other jacket,not even Flightsuits screams Indy like Wested."

Your points, however:

Lambskin is not as strong as cowhide - or most any other garment leather. It is soft, supple, and lightweight - these are probably the reasons it was chosen for the production jackets, i.e. comfort for the actors. If you want strength - cow, goat, deer, horse, and kangaroo are the choices, in ascending order of durability. Lamb is nice, but catch it on a nail and your jacket is history.

Oh, yea - lambhide does not exist.

If you want a jacket that will last a lifetime - the US Wings and Flight Suits jackets are the way to go. Flight Suits is an exact reproduction of the original Raiders jacket, and is the only jacket out there that has the details right. The US Wings jacket is as close as you can get to a reproduction of the Temple of Doom jacket. Both these companies use only mil spec of better materials.

A Flight Suits jacket will cost between $428 and $528 - more if you have it custom fit or are a size 52 or larger. Their leathers range from lambskin at the bottom end of the price range to deerskin at the top. I have a deerskin FS jacket, and it is a bargain, even at about $600. A US Wings jacket will run between $295 for goatskin (the best bargain in my book, including the Wested at a cheaper price) and $475 for kangaroo. I have the kangaroo, and it is really something special.

Feel free to email me if you'd like to kick this around.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: