Re: Fedora...specs on my hat...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-39.col.cableone.net on November 22, 2000 at 22:55:51:

In Reply to: Fedora...specs on my hat... posted by Indydawg on November 22, 2000 at 22:23:58:

: : : Well now, I have to say, like "Obtainer" did yesterday, that PB is the greatest when it comes to customer service...except when Joe Jr. is out of town! Then you have a problem...here's mine..

: : : I got my PB hat yesterday...and it is great! It was made as a hybrid Raiders/LC hat...actual "snap" brim like in LC, but with the high hard pinch in the front like in Raiders...and like "Obtainer" says...it is STIIIIIIIIFF. True wonderful example of great craftmanship...so, what is the problem you ask?

: : : When I took it out of the box, I said to myself "DAYUM this hat is TALL"! Sure enough, when I put it on, it kind of stood WAY up on my head, unlike any other hat had ever fit me...now before you get all snide and snicker at me...yes, I understood that the Indy hat was a tall hat! And maybe it is just my having to compare it to nothing but baseball caps around my house. But is still just seems really TALL...I called PB to talk to Joe Jr. about it, but he was already gone, not to be back until Dec. 20. Joe Sr. said if I had that much problem with it, I should send it back and send Joe Jr. and email about it. I don't really WANT to send it back if this is something i can "fix" myself (i.e. bashing in the crown a little bit more..there is a bit of room between the "bash" and the top of my head when I put the hat on)...so my question is...what do I do? Should I try to bash it a little more? Should I just not worry about it because I am being too picky? Patterson, Fedora, John, Abner.....this one is especially for you guys...Michaelson said to ask you!!!!

: : : Thanks!
: : : Indydawg

: : This is a first. Usually most folks want a tall fedora, and they are pretty hard to find in todays market. You didn't give any specs on your fedora, so it' hard for me to be specific. How tall is the crown, and what brim size did you go with? Perhaps these two are not proportional. What is your hat size? You can decrease the crown height yourself, with out adding a lot of taper. Just steam the crown, and make the top cleft deeper, taking care in keeping the sides straight up. You will lose the "squared off" Raiders look on the top of the crown. You will also have to adjust the front pinch so its shorter. Personally, I don't like the top of the hat to touch the top of my head. I want some space there. The folks that sell Akubras, suggest that you keep a space there, and I agree with them 100 oer cent. I think I would wear it for a while, before I made any changes. Perhaps you are just used to low crowned hats, and this looks odd to you. Regards, Fedora

: Thanks for posting in respons, Fedora...the specs on mine are exactly as they would have been on Indy's hat...with the exception of mine being a 7 1/8 (minus 1/4 of a size...Joe Jr.'s terminology)..5.5" crown..after the bash...2.75" brim in front and back and 2.675" on the sides..dimensional cut, right? Those are the crown and brim dimensions...I am 5'10", 150lbs...slim build with a narrow face and small head..the crown just looks too tall on me, to me anyway. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow after I get some taken...

: Thanks, and any suggestions are welcome!
: Indydawg

Hmmm. Sounds just like my last one. Give it a little time, and re-evaluate after a couple of weeks. If you still feel the same about the crown height, I would just modify it, as stated in my earlier post. I would shoot for 5 1/4 on the sides, after rebashing, 4 3/4 height at front pinch, and the same in back. If it still looks too tall, have an eye exam pronto! Just kidding. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]