Re: Need a rain fedora?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenal0 from proxy2-external.wkgn1.il.home.com on November 25, 2000 at 11:47:36:

In Reply to: Need a rain fedora? posted by Fedora on November 25, 2000 at 10:23:16:

:

: First of all set me state that I truly love my PB fedoras. I think they come as close to the Raiders fedora as you are going to get. But I will never wear mine in the rain, unless it can't be helped. They are just too expensive for me to do so. I feel the same way toward my GW custom job. I definetely won't wear my Miller in the wet stuff either, as all of mine are very prone to shrinkage, even when dried at room temp. I have an Akubra Campdraft that is worn daily as a work hat and is exposed to the elements. These last few days we have had alot of rain, and the Campdraft has been my constant companion keeping the old head dry. Even after repeated room temp dryings, this hat has not shrunk even a little bit. I have abused this hat in more ways than one, and it has pulled through, looking better each time. And I paid only 57.00 for it. Hatsdirect now has them for 51.00, and it has got to be one of the few bargains still out there for us Indy fans, and hat wearers. I have been so impressed, that I have ordered another one while Ron still has them in stock. As I have reported before, the gold lettering on the sweatband is still just as vivid as the day I first recieved this hat. All of the gold on my other hats wore off quickly, and to me this is a sure sign of hidden quality. I truly believe that you can't buy a higher quality rabbit felt hat-anywhere. This hat was meant to be worn out of doors, and provide protection from wind, solar rays, and rain. And still look good in doing so. If you are unfamiliar with this hat, let me give you a run down on it. It comes in a medium brown with no reddish tint as the traditional mink color. These folks at Hatdirect will replace the ribbon with the appropiate one, but you will have to cut the wide brim down to your specs, or have someone like PB do it for you. It is a stiff hat, but not as stiff as the PB. The sweatband is lambskin, and the liner is a gold color. The open crown height on mine, a 7 1/4 sized, is 5 1/2 inches tall. Tall enough for an Indy fedora. While this hat won't make you a good Raiders replica, it makes an awesome TOD fedora (not the tapered one). It will also make an excellent LC fedora, as long as you can steam and shape. And all of this for only $51.00! If you want to own more than one fedora,and need a hat that can take the abuse, get you one while he still has them. You won't be sorry. Regards, Fedora

David Miller has hat stretchers for anbout $15.00 which do a great job of keeping the hat the original size and shape. I have worn my PB and my Miller in all weather as well as my David Miller and have not had any ill effects. I have one of the Hatsdirect hats and also like it very much.It has been my experimental hat. I have even balled it up and put it in my pocket the took it out and it went back to its original shape. One thing I like about Indys hats is the abused look they have. I would like my hats to look the same.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]