Re: Why doesn't anyone take me seriously?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anejo joe from 188.greenville-06-07rs.sc.dial-access.att.net on November 26, 2000 at 21:22:25:

In Reply to: Re: Why doesn't anyone take me seriously? posted by Greg on November 26, 2000 at 15:50:47:

: To echo what Hector said, I am 27 and I wear my HJ fedora all the time. After a while it becomes part of your personality and while I occasionally get a "Dah dah dah dah, dah dah dum" hummed behind me while in public, it usually comes from insecure teenagers who themselves are still going through the throes of personal identity searching. I just ignore it. My wife likes my hat. My friends like my hat. I've been greeted with more "Hey, nice hat!" and "Where did you get that hat?" comments than I have the negative ones. Especially from women =). At any rate, I agree with Hector about hats. I like wearing hats-hats of all kinds. I really enjoy fedoras and other fur felt hats, and have even been toying with the idea of getting a bowler hat. Imagine the comments I will get with THAT hat! Where your Indy hat with a suit or a jacket and tie (make sure they are earth tone clothes so they go with the brown fedora), and see what kind of reaction you get! People will invariably be impressed with your level of dressiness. Another way I experienced some jeering for a while was when I switched to wearing bowties. I work at a University so I occasionally have to wear a tie and I started wearing handmade bowties as my only type of tie a few years ago and while the bowtie angers some people, others find it quite inspiring. I've taught several people how to tie them and they've decided to buy one themselves. I'm convinced that the fedora is that kind of fashion accessory that has just gone out of style for most of the baseball-hat-wearing miller-lite-drinking jackasses in the world and they just don't know any better. I am just determined to bring the style back and my personal "Crusade" to wear the fedora will not be wavered by the insecure masses!

: Sorry. Got away with myself there...

: Greg =)

------
Acutally, quite a lot of people wear bow ties.

I work in an office where suits and ties are required 5 days a week. Sometimes I wear my fedora, and the only comment I have received was that it was an expensive hat. The problem I have is that there is no place to hang it. I put it on a table behind me, crown down to protect the brim (so the maker's lable shows). Years ago, every restaurant and office had a hat rack. Now, there is nothing to do with a hat except to lay it on a table or chair. That is one reason I do not wear it more often. Another is that I hate to take if off indoors and carry it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]