Re: Hey Indy Coil! Words from fellow sophmore!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indigo Adams from msla-r1a1m51.in-tch.com on November 27, 2000 at 14:10:42:

In Reply to: Hey Indy Coil! Words from fellow sophmore! posted by Reggie on November 27, 2000 at 00:18:36:

Here's a thought: Feel sorry for the poor schmucks who feel they need to give you a hard time about your choice in headwear. After all, they have nothing better to do than give you grief, so they must not have a life- not to mention that they're insecure about themselves, to they point at you and give you a hard time to draw attention away from themselves.

I graduated from high school last year. (Class of 2000, whoo hoo!) If it's one thing I learned, it's that there's almost an "instinct" to conform to everyone else. My Freshman and Sophomore years, I wouldn't have dared to wear a fedora, because I didn't want everyone to stand back and judge me. My junior year, I started to quit caring about what others thought. I'd made my friends, and I knew that they would stick with me, so I started becoming myself. My Senior year, I was just myself. I didn't wear a fedora, but only because I had no interest in one at the time (now, on the other hand, is a different story) but I didn't try to look like everyone else.

I know it's not the same situation you're in, but take it from someone who was in the same place not all that long ago: be yourself. If wearing a fedora is what you want to do, so be it. You'll find that up to about your Junior year, people will still be judgemental. But they will mature and change, and by the end of your Senior year, you'll find that most of them have learned to accept those who dared to be different.

Laters!
-Indigo Adams

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: