Re: Jeez, don't you guys have baseball caps?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indigo Adams from msla-r1a1m212.in-tch.com on November 27, 2000 at 18:27:39:

In Reply to: Jeez, don't you guys have baseball caps? posted by Jay on November 27, 2000 at 17:16:16:

Well, then I suppose let's ridicule anyone who wears a cowboy hat for being a "wannabe John Wayne," under the circumstances suggested by the above post. I agree, fedoras aren't exactly "in." They got dropped when hairstyles changed, and have never truly come back. The "older generation" of guys aged in their 60's and above will occasionally wear that style of hat commonly, because it was what they spent much of their life wearing.

Personally, I own a leather fedora. I'm not "stuck in the past" I know what era I'm in. That's about as close to "playing dress up" as I get. I don't wander around every day dressed up as Indy. I wear the hat, and that's as close as I get. I know a guy who's younger than me who wears either a bowler hat or a cowboy hat. We're not stuck in the past, we just appreciate the stlying of the hats we wear more than others.

Baseball caps are all too common, you wear one, and you just conform to looking like every other schmuck on the street. Wear a fedora, cowboy hat, bowler hat, etc; and you suddenly stand out as someone not afraid to be themselves.

Oh, and on a side note: How could you feel like a total dork being dressed up on Halloween? That's the ONE DAY where people expect you to be in a costume. I dressed up as Indy, and I enjoyed myself. How could I feel like a total dork when I walk past 4 people who were so unimaginative that they could think of nothing better to dress up as but the guy from "Scream?" I was the only Indy among a sea of "Scream," Pokemon, Power Rangers, dragons, and whatever else I saw that night. I felt unique, unlike almost everyone I crossed. It wasn't the most elaborate costume- I didn't even get honorable mention in the costume contest (couple'a lousy aliens beat me by 2 points!!! They're invading!!!!!) but so many people were competing against others with the EXACT same costumes. The true "dorks" on Halloween are those who can't think of something original. Those who put on an orange shirt marked "Last Minute Costume" and call it good.

Okay, I got off the track there. My point is that you should just be yourself. Don't wear a fedora because Indy did, wear one because you like how they look. Don't wear Indy's gear because you want to be like him, wear it because you appreciate the styling of the jacket, pants, boots, etc. Don't be someone you aren't, but don't be afraid to be different.

Laters!
-Indigo Adams

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: