YIJC.... another senseless rant of mine, take with a grain of salt.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-wf013.proxy.aol.com on November 30, 2000 at 00:14:49:

I've read posts from both camps (proYIJC and antiYIJC) and thought I'd share my opinion. The series sucked (short version). The problem was not with casting; I thought Flannery did a reasonable job. The problem was with the writing.Did anyone else here have a problem with Indy's encounters with every single historical figure that ever lived (more or less)? At what point did the show's writers sit down and say, "I see young Indiana Jones as Forrest Gump."? I found it improbable and ridiculous. And it seemed that Indy was supposed to have learned a realevant life lesson from each of them, few of which are reflected in the character that we all know as Indiana Jones. The only defense to this is the fact that Indy served in WWI. Combat can alter a person's character a great deal. Still, it bothered me to the point that I gave up on the show after two episodes, returning only out of blind optimism that it would improve with time as the "Highlander" series had. Sadly, it did not. I also found it ridiculous that Indy had been a spy. And as if the writers had not embarrassed themselves at that point, Indy battled Dracula. I forget what episode this reffers to but I think that Indy knew martila arts he would have used it against the German mechanic. Part of the genius of the Indy films is that they balance on the fine line between fact and fantasy with the grace of a tightrope walker. The YIJC had the grace of a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. Indy has an instiable appetite for curiousity and adventure, but he knows to be grounded and serious when needed. I think he would have spent most of his younger years studying and attending classes, acquiring the wealth of knowledge that would later carry him around the World in search of history. His military service would have taken him abroad, but the life of a soldier in combat leaves little time for exploration and discovery. It was probably not until he began apprenticing under Abner Ravenwood that he began to travel and experience the real 'hands-on' side of the archeological field. This where the real stories would be. If Indiana Jones had been real his teen yeras would have been like your's and mine; dull, tedious, full of study and dreams of the bigger things to come.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]