On the other hand...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Junior Jones from jobbers.com on November 30, 2000 at 10:18:49:

In Reply to: YIJC.... another senseless rant of mine, take with a grain of salt. posted by Shawnkara on November 30, 2000 at 00:14:49:

:Did anyone else here have a problem with Indy's encounters with every single historical figure that ever lived (more or less)? At what point did the show's writers sit down and say, "I see young Indiana Jones as Forrest Gump"? I found it improbable and ridiculous.

I had no problem with Indy meeting historical figures. His father was a prominent scholar and on a lecture tour of the world's prominent universities. Of course they'll meet important people.

As a teenager, Indy went where the action is. He wasn't afraid to talk to people and make friends. His personality attracted him to people of like personality. People who were driven, who had a purpose, and who would someday make something of themselves.

:And it seemed that Indy was supposed to have learned a realevant life lesson from each of them, few of which are reflected in the character that we all know as Indiana Jones.

He didn't necessarily learn a life lesson from each one, but he was exposed to a wide variety of opinions and outlooks. Indiana Jones seems unusually open minded and I think it's because of experiences in his youth.

:Indy has an insatiable appetite and curiousity for adventure, but he knows to be grounded and serious when needed. I think he would have spent most of his younger years studying and attending classes,

He did spend his younger years studying. His father brought along an Oxford tutor to maintain his education. But he didn't just read and study books, he saw the pyramids in person, he experimented with physics at the Leaning Tower of Pisa just like Galileo, he learned the basics of logic from his father in Greece where the concept originated, he walked on the Great Wall of China. What better education is there than experience?

:I think he would have spent most of his younger years studying and attending classes, acquiring the wealth of knowledge that would later carry him around the World in search of history.

Don't you think that world travel and involvement in history would prompt him to continue pursuing world travel and searching for history?

:His military service would have taken him abroad, but the life of a soldier in combat leaves little time for exploration and discovery.

That's why they made him a spy.

:If Indiana Jones had been real his teen years would have been like your's and mine; dull, tedious, full of study and dreams of the bigger things to come.

If Indiana Jones's teen years were dull and tedious like mine, why didn't he grow up to be dull and tedious, like me?

Indiana Jones is worldly and experienced, and he didn't learn any of that from books. He knows two dozen languages because he saw in person how useful it is. He can get along well anywhere in the world because he experienced dozens of different cultures as a boy and saw how it was done.

It's axiomatic that Indy is who he is in the movies because of the experiences of his youth. You don't have to like it, and you don't even have to accept it. But you can't dispute it. (If you don't like it, just ignore it.)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]