Just kidding about the PB. Good show !(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.27.238 on December 03, 2000 at 02:06:09:

In Reply to: Re: Can you believe the HJ fedora went fpr 207.50 on e-bay? posted by Greg on December 03, 2000 at 01:49:48:

: : I mean the hat originally cost 260.00, was 5 years old I think. and had only a 4 3/4 inch crown at the tallest point! I originally was thinking about bidding on it, until I discovered the crown height! If this is what HJ is offering currently, its a shame. Of course Greg did say it had shrunk a size or so from it getting wet, so perhaps the crown shrunk in height as well. Greg, when you get that new PB, let us know your impressions. Regards, Fedora

: I didn't think it would go so high either. I was pretty straightforward and up front with all of the bidders about its characteristics. Remember that not everyone wants the look of the Raiders hat, Fedora. And depending on your headsize, body size, etc., this may be an excellent match for a Temple or LC hat for the winning bidder. I don't know who that person is, and I don't think he is on the forum here, but he is definitely an Indyfan. His email questions tell me he knows as much about the costume characteristics as we all here do. To tell the truth, I never really cared for the look of the Raiders hat and that tight, up-front pinch on the crown. Besides, you have to go with what looks right on you, and the tall crown effect just looks silly on me. Remember again that if we all get the hat with the same dimensions as the ones Harrison Ford wore, and we are not Harrison Ford's exact build, then the hat will look ridiculous on us! Joe at Peters Brothers himself knows this best I think since he offers to make the hats to suit the head and body sizes of people, altering crown heights, etc. Since I care more about the authenticity of my collection and the pieces being from original makers, I had thought I'd replace the HJ with a new one. I have really enjoyed the two (now one) that I've had, besides, they make a mean LC replica and that is the look I've preferred in my collecting. The only LC piece I don't own is the jacket, since I bought it 10 years ago, and my taste back then was for the smaller collar, etc. of the Raiders jacket, but I intend to remedy that next Spring with a LC jacket from Peter. Anyway, no one is as surprised as I about the final price, and because of that, I threw in some of my Catherine Delaney Petersham ribbon (a great close match for the authentic ribbon that HJ is now supplying with their hats-reproduced ribbon, at least), and directions on how to install it. I am also shipping it in my newest hat's Swaine Adeney and Brigg heavy duty shipping box, that I had intended on keeping but this guy deserves the best with this transaction! If I had an extra hat lining, I'd throw that in with the deal, but alas, I do not!

: At any rate, I will miss this hat. It was my first HJ and first real Indy hat. I am glad it went for the money it did because it has a little bit of sentimental value to it. I labored for about a month before I finally convinced myself to sell it!

: Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]