Re: You don't get the point, do ya?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-198.col.cableone.net on December 03, 2000 at 10:18:19:

In Reply to: You don't get the point, do ya? posted by Austin Powers on December 03, 2000 at 01:54:20:

: You guys are missing my point worse than Shaq at the line. Connery's character in the Rock was a brand-new character with no preconceived images of him being physical. He played a (your words not mine) retired soldier. Now maybe I'm speaking for just myself when I say NOBODY wants to see a retired Indy being called back into action for one last Space Cowboys-ish adventure. I've also heard Ford's comment regarding the "running and jumping and falling". By bringing that up you proved my point even more. The character's place in Pop Culture-dom is solely based on this "running and jumping and falling". Raiders of the Lost Ark would've faded away into oblivion and produced no sequels if Indy was actionless. And that's what he'll be at 60+. Granted, stuntmen CAN do the whip-swingin' and truck-draggin', but who's gonna believe that a 60-year-old Indy is managing these feats?

: As far as my Tommy Lee Jones comment goes I think I was RIGHT on track. I didn't literally mean that he never runs from boulders and swings from whips, which you decided would be an Indy rip-off. I meant that his physical activity in movies is in a different category. Punching people and chasing fugitives is NOT in the same league as what Indy does/did.

: Regarding Ford being 47 when Last Crusade was filmed...47 is a hell of a lot different than 60. At 47 he still LOOKED like he could physically pull of the death-defying stunts. People never thought twice about seeing him in the Indy outfit. Picture Ford in his current state in full Indy gear. Looks pretty sad, don't it?

: Here's a quote from Spielberg in '89:

: "People love Indiana Jones, and they wanna see more of him in the same leather jacket and fedora hat...and so do I."

: The same leather jacket and fedora hat....that IS Indy. You take away his outfit and he's just a guy. And with the outfit comes the expectation of an able-bodied adventurer who can drag from a truck without needing hip-replacement surgery.

: What happened to Fonzie and Barbarino? They got old. Nobody wants to see a 50-year-old guy hittin' on chicks. And no one wants to see a 60-year-old guy dressed as Indy.

: Austin Powers

Just curious Austin. Does this mean you will not go and see Ford as Indy again? Sounds like it would be a fairly ludicrous sight to your way of thinking. Not to me though. Adventurers do get older, that is, if they are smart enough to survive. Maybe this will be a first for Hollywood. I honestly can't recall an aging adventurer in recent movies, but this doesn't mean it wouldn't sell at the box office. I mean if you can swallow the things that were presented in all 3 Indy films, it's not too much of a leap to accept Indy getting older, but still kicking ass. Do you think that the big 3 couldn't pull all of this off, without making Indy a caricature of himself? Personally, I think there is a huge market out there for aging adventurers, consider all the baby boomers, who are themselves getting older, and who would embrace an aging Indy. Add something in the mix that would attract a younger audience, and you have the recipe for an excellent grossing movie. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]