I own both,an honest essay ,by the last Indy fan left in Melbourne

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sam cox from pt37-60.5300-1.bluep.com on December 03, 2000 at 15:15:58:

In Reply to: Re: Fedora, Fedora, Fedora posted by Fedora on December 03, 2000 at 14:42:12:

: : Are fedoras normally suposed to be real stiff when bought...I have the 005 Indy Fedora from Stetson which is not being sold anymore....I like it but its too short and doesn't have the right look but it also is not really stiff.....I mean it stays its shape but its not that stiff...

: : Also, are the HJ fedoras that stiff? and are they better quality than the PB? I mean I'm practically sold on the PB but I still wonder. And from what I've heard the HJ Poet looks like the Last Crusade Fedora in the Italy boat dock scene, right?

: Actually, fedoras vary in stiffness, depending on who makes them. My fedoras range from very soft and floppy, to very stiff. I like em all, although the really soft ones don't hold brim shape very well without the use of a stiffener. As far as the quality comparisons between the HJ and PB, maybe someone here who owns both will comment. I guess all rabbit fur felts are not created equal,so there may be a difference. The main thing to me is which felt is apt to shrink more. Of course all felt will shrink given water and heat, but some will shrink at room temp. I think this is due to the raw felt not being shrunk enough during the manufacturing process. A faster made felt is equal to a cheaply made felt. Also, I don't particularly care for the colored powders used in the finishing /coloring process. If your hat gets wet, the colored powder bleeds out, and all over the lining, not to mention running down your face! Ask Michaelson about this as he once recited this happening to him. My GW is full of this powder, as well as every Stetson I have ever owned. The Akubras don't use the powder, and the PB may have only a little bit. I say "may", because I can't recall what Joe said concerning this. The powder is used to blend the color in fine dress hats to make them look prettier to the eye, in case your are wondering. Regards, Fedora
howdy
I own both,the bestway to put it is my PB looks like the Raiders hat but my HJ looks like a very battered Last Crusade hat.My PB goes with me everywhere ,it is fantastic quality and is bulit like a brick shit house(IT IS VERY STIFF AND HAS MAINTAINED ITS ORIGINAL SHAPE PERFECTLY AFTER 7 MONTHS OF ABUSE)I got my Herbie J about 7 years back when i was in the UK( i actually got it without knowing that it was the original from the guys who made them for the trilogy,i simply thought it was a good match)the Herbie J has lost some of its original charm and most of its shape,in its day it was a fine hat,not a tough one.Yes it has shrunk over the years ,im actually thinking of sending it to Joe JNR to be rebulit.If you want the fine quality get the HJ if you want the best looking hat tailor made to your specs built from almost bullet proof felt do yoursef a favour and get the PB.
Hope this helped
Merry Christmas
Ramadan or whatever

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: