Understood

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on December 04, 2000 at 14:33:32:

In Reply to: Well Michaelson... posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert on December 01, 2000 at 15:25:55:

:
: : Sure, maybe they don't like him, but that doesn't make them "idiots". I don't have an opinion about him one way or another..what does that make me? Ease up there, Brett. They have the right to state their own opinion, as do you. Regards. Michaelson

: Yeah, you are right. They do have the right to their opinions, just like I do. Sure, the "idiots" statement could be seen as a little rash but you must understand that at the time those words came from reading a lot of ludicrous arguments about M. Night's talents and so on. When someone says: "If you didn't catch that big surprise ending in The Sixth Sense within the first two minutes, you deserve to be raped by Jar-Jar." Now, what the hell is that all about? If you don't back up your arguments credibly (whether or not I agree), then I have no choice but to think that way. Plus, to me, it's all over reacting. Does M. Night really deserve all that? He's directed 2 major films. About two more previously which haven't been widely seen. How can people possibly label him as bad if they don't think "Unbreakable" isn't any good. By what they say, well they might as well have forbidden Spielberg to make any more movies in '79 since "1941" sucked and he must have been a fluke! Plus, they may as well have forbidden Spielberg to direct "The Color Purple" and "Schindler's List" since they're way different films then "Raiders" or "E.T." then, huh?

: As for you, Michaelson, you're no idiot! You're one cool dude, Michaelson! And even if you felt M. Night was no good, I wouldn't consider you an idiot since I know you know how to back up your thoughts without saying: "You deserve to be raped by Jar-Jar!"

Humm, I missed that one. You're right, Jar-jar Binks would be one dead puppy if he tried that one on me, as I was indeed surprised by the ending of 6th Sense. I go to a movie to be entertained, so I go in with a completely clean slate, no prior theories, and just let the show tell me it's story. Unless they telegraph something with the subtleness of a train wreck, I let myself be taken along for the ride. I think you lose a lot of the enjoyment when you first go to a movie and try to analyse every neuance of the movie as it goes on, attempting to figure out the ending before the "play" is played out. Sure, I go back and then dissect the movie to see what I missed later, but in the first showing I never do. That's just me, though, but it's the way I enjoy the "picture show". Thanks for the clarification, as well as the kind words. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]